Cities are in the thick of the current pandemic – but also places where millions want to live, work and visit. We’re skipping ahead, with optimism, that we’ll see better times, with ideas for innovations in cities on several continents.
- The design-it-yourself kit from Thomas Jefferson University to create parks among the 40,000+ vacant lots in Philadelphia.
- Lisbon is named the European Green Capital for 2020 for its sustainability efforts during hard times.
- Amsterdam’s stunning architecture is a legacy of slavery a continent away in Suriname. Are the Dutch ready to apologize?
- Baltimore will be getting a Matisse Center; Philadelphia, an Alexander Calder “sanctuary”; and the Chicago suburbs a Frank Lloyd Wright Visitor Center.
- Meanwhile the Pompidou will curate exhibitions in Shanghai—the largest ever cultural exchange between France and China.
- Ancient cities of Mosul, Aleppo, Leptis Magna, and Palmyra have all been martyred by war. Cutting edge technology recreates missing landmarks and vistas in a virtual journey you won’t want to miss
- Dubai gets a rotating skyscraper, a TWA terminal at JFK Airport is transformed into a hotel.
- Will post-pandemic urban centers lose their populations to quieter places ?
Come back to learn more about the today and tomorrow of world cities.